Thursday, March 18, 2010
I'm a skeptic
I'm watching the BYU game right now, for those of you who may not be following the sports scene, it's March Madness. I love watching basketball, but the downside is I see a lot of commercials (I haven't progressed enough in life to have a DVR). I'm a pretty trusting guy, but not when it comes to consumer products. "This body wash has micro cleansers, which activate on-contact" What? It's soap. And my current soap also washes me "on contact". Obviously there's a lot of science behind the phrase "micro cleansers" as well. The only thing that makes sense to me is that there are some marketing guys in a room, and they're all thinking of what they could say so you will buy their product, to increase the bottom line. I have the same view on politics. I just don't believe a lot of the claims for things that cure anything, or give you energy, or lose weight (while allowing you to eat all you want and never exercise). That's why I've always liked physics more than biology. How do they know that the blobs they're seeing in the microscope are doing anything. That's why it's probably taken so long to cure cancer. If it were a computer virus, we'd have fixed it. But some guy thinks he's found the cure to cancer, and then finds out there's some dust on his microscope. This is all mostly just because I know practically nothing about the sciences (except physics), but it's still fun to be contrary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If I had a nickel for every time I've had a conversation with Jimmy about my not believing that there are really atoms, that the blobs under the microscopre are significant, etc... really. Atoms? Give me a break. Jimmy and his biology major disagree with me.
ReplyDeleteMy favorites are the commercials that compare their product to the "other leading brand"'s product with something like a chart with no numbers or words, just a blue line that is shooting higher than a red one, like, "See? It's proof."