- Take a pillow and place it in front of you. Imagine that the pillow is really the "out-of-control" student. Now tell this student what you resent (Sammy, I resent ______). See if your body wants to say or do anything to Sammy. If you'd like to crack Sammy over the skull, then let him have it!
- As a way of releasing tension, take a towel and let the towel represent the student. Twist the towel (student) until it is taut, and keep twisting. Notice how your jaw and face become even more tense as you do this. Now take the twisted towel (student) and bite down, giving the towel all the tension that this student usually gives you.
- Picture a difficult student saying or doing something that usually bugs you. Keep looking at the student but begin to hear circus music in the background. Listen to the circus music right through the end.
- Sometimes it helps to blend improbable scenarios to laugh. For example, picture your spouse serving dinner while walking on his or her hands.
Well, you get the point. I hope Mollie keeps the stress level down without turning into a nut job.
I can't react to this. At all.
ReplyDeleteWow, oh wow! Maybe Mollie needs to borrow that Knock Out Buddy from Mom & Dad's for the duration of her student teaching.
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of the 1-2-3 Magic discipline book and remembered they have one specifically for teachers: http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-Teachers-Effective-Discipline/dp/1889140171. You might want to look into it, Schkervy.
I'm going to give Mollie my old Mad Bat.
ReplyDeleteAnd, is the author of that book currently in an insane asylum?
ReplyDeletehilarious! It does take a special kind of patience to work with children, which is why for the next several years, I only deal with puppies :)
ReplyDeletemiss you moo!