Friday, June 10, 2011

High Maintenance

I am a high maintenance husband. I admit it. This is mostly due to the wide array of hobbies that I have. I love cycling. I love the outdoors. I love technology/computers (especially Apple). I love music. I like new clothes, though that is definitely lower on the list (would I look like trash if someone gave me a new computer? definitely). All of these things makes me pretty pricey. I am frugal, however, and perhaps compared to many I am not that pricey. But compared to Mollie, I am definitely the high maintenance one. Mollie's maintenance consists of a steady stream of 49 cent bean burritos from Del Taco. And, since she is pretty small and has refined tastes, she doesn't find a whole lot of *modest* clothes that she wants to buy. Because of this, she has basically acquired a "license to buy" whatever clothes she finds that she likes. It's not so bad with me, though, because to fuel my new purchases I often find things to sell on eBay. In fact, my last 2 Apple purchases (iPhone, iPod touch) were completely paid for by eBay sales.

Mollie is great for indulging me though. Recently on her birthday (you know you're bad when your wife buys you a present on her birthday. She bought it and had her sister bring it over for her as if it were her present. When she opened it I was really confused. She tricked me!) she made all my dreams come true with a "Sodastream." All growing up I have loved soda ("pop"), as my dad would normally have a few cases of 7up on hand. And since serving in the Czech Republic, I have acquired the love of sparkling water. It's really just the carbonation that I love, not the sugar. So sparkling water does the trick for me. So this sodastream machine gives you the power to make your own sparkling water/pop right at home! It's a godsend. Now instead of getting a case of Perrier once a year at Christmas, I can have it anytime I want. We also got some Lemon-Lime syrup for making a Sprite knock-off, which tastes good too.


Thanks dear!

3 comments:

  1. What a cool gift! You have an awesome wife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm it must be a Curtis thing (spending money), Alex has a lot of hobbies and likes spending a lot more money than I do. The only time I spent a lot of money was for getting my skin care business started, and it was still less than what he paid for his guitar. So I never feel bad when I buy things :) That soda machine sounds awesome, Mollie is so nice :)

    ReplyDelete